Your data needs protection too from unauthorised access and corruption through data encryption, tokenisation and key data governance management.
Hence, the enforcement of the General Data Protection Regulation act (GDPR) on 14th April 2016, despite several challenges faced by the organisations in the existing data protection policies, is justified. The recent congressional hearings on Google and Facebook further gives a clear indication that data breaches are not going to be tolerated and data security & data protection are now amongst top priority.
What is GDPR compliance?
Valuable information often gets misplaced, stolen or lands up in the hands of people who are not meant to access it.
Under the terms and conditions of GDPR, organisations have to ensure that personal data is accumulated legally under strict conditions and protected from misuse and exploitation.
Role of Data Governance in Data security
The current market trends call for strict data governance management in organizations, as data security is a major aspect of it.
Proper data governance regulates the quality, design, architecture, security, and storage of data. Data stewards, who understand the importance of data security, take in-charge and oversee its application on a daily basis. Enterprises with efficient data governance processes often have lower risks when an audit for data protection or data security is called upon
If you are still curious about how Data security and data protection help protect YOUR enterprise, then you must read further.
- Cloud security access – You can make a smooth and secured transition to the cloud with data protection in the cloud applications.
- Data encryption – You gain access to Data-centric and tokenization security solutions for data security and data protection across your enterprise, cloud, mobile and big data environments.
- Hardware security module – It guards your financial data and helps you meet the industry security compliance requirements.
- Key data governance management – Facilitates data protection and enables industry regulation compliance.
- Enterprise Data Protection – Provides an end-to-end data-centric approach to data security for your enterprise.
- Security in payments – Provides data encryption and tokenization for retail payment transactions, enabling PCI scope reduction.
- Big Data, Hadoop and IofT data protection – It protects the sensitive data in the Data Lake – including Hadoop, Teradata, Micro Focus Vertica, and other Big Data platforms.
- Mobile app security – Protects sensitive data in native mobile apps.
- Web browser security – Protects sensitive customer data captured at the browser and protects it through the ecosystem.
- Email security – It encrypts emails and mobile messages keeping personal information secured.
- Building trust- Data security methods negate the scope of negligence involved in managing customers’ information and helps build trust between the organisations and the clients.
- Saves money- With data protection practices enterprises save losing millions of dollars as penalty.
The data security methods you should follow
1. Encrypt sensitive data.
2. Limit access to users.
3. Keep a track of login information and backups.
4. Deploy data masking where certain elements are changed within the data storage to retain the structure but change the information to protect the sensitive information.
5. Protect and encrypt the hardware to circumvent any attempts of data theft.
6. Use data erasure, a process of deleting all the data stored on a hard drive before it can be reused, as a data security measure.
7. Maintain regular vulnerability scanning.
8. Apply patches to your IT structure.
9. Adoption of secure coding best practices.
A failure to instil these data security methods causes chaos during unforeseen circumstances. But there are challenges in data protection and data security despite data security methods which cannot be overlooked. This is because the data you are dealing with here is big. Very big.
- Cyber criminals can pour fake data into your system which prompts your sensors to show fake results. This causes the problems in your system to go undetected until serious damage occurs. To counter this, you can use the fault detection approach.
- Untrusted mappers can mess up your data mapping process and gain access to your Big Data. If the perimeter security systems used are faulty, your data is a sitting duck.
- Sensitive data stored on the cloud is not encrypted as constant encryptions slow down the process.
- Granular access control of classified data is difficult to manage as the Big data technologies are not equipped to do so.
- Illegal data mining for promotional purposes by rivals and unethical officials due to lack of control over your huge gamut of data.
The Big Data snowball is hurtling towards you and if you have forgotten to put on your protective gear, will you make it safely to the bottom of the slope in a single piece? Prioritise data governance management with data security and data protection before it’s too late to employ the data security methods. And you are caught in the maze of what is GDPR.
At Nabler we have observed that large enterprises often face legal issues, security breaches and regulatory fines due to poor security and GDPR compliance. Hence, we offer a huge opportunity to resolve data protection issues through efficient data governance practices to improve conversion-customer ratio.
We enable marketers to make advanced data-driven decisions with our entire suite of data products, solutions and consulting services. And work towards optimizing your website with the correct Digital Implementation System, to capture the right data and its proper attribution.
All you need to is click here – https://nabler.com or write to us at email@example.com