Reducing category page exit rate by over 50% for an online electronics retailer.
The client was struggling with a significantly high exit rate of over 75% on their top selling webpage product category, i.e., “Speakers”, and wanted to bring this number down and improve the conversion rate for the “Speakers” product category in the online electronics retail website.
Nabler helped a US-based apparel brand optimize its investment on Adobe SiteCatalyst with a well-investigated re-implementation strategy and user training through our unique Digital Analytics Evangelization Program. This helped all the client’s teams get better and more relevant results and insights from SiteCatalyst, thereby increasing the tool usage and website effectiveness.
Nabler’s web analytic consultants started auditing the entire website performance. We started analyzing and identifying the problem areas in designing techniques, usability, and call-to-action buttons to increase ecommerce website conversion rates.
We started with evaluating and auditing the layout and the individual elements of the page on the basis of the following key factors that add to the success of an e-commerce website:
- Value proposition
- Positioning and messaging around CTA (Add to Cart)
After the initial evaluation was done, we created a few hypotheses based on which we defined our control and experiments:
- Usability Transitioning from GRID VIEW to LIST VIEW would provide more transparency and clarity around merchandise attributes, and reduce the exit rate on website product category.
- Call to action buttons Showing FREE SHIPPING offer along with 5% Rewards Back with ADD TO CART button would create Urgency and improve the Category to Cart Conversion Rate.
- Clarity Giving an option to the visitor to check the SHIPPING and AVAILABILITY would provide clarity and transparency, and excite the visitor to view the product.
- Relevancy By allowing the visitors to COMPARE the similar products from different brands would provide an unbiased and transparent view of the results.
- Urgency Showcasing the CUSTOMER REVIEWS and RATINGS on the Category Page, would expedite the product selection because the customers would be advocating the brand, and their opinion and feedback would improvise the selection process.
After the hypothesis was created, we performed quantitative data analysis using the Google Analytics tool, and identified the sample test audience for the upcoming tests. We then defined the control and alternative content variations and conducted multiple A/B Tests and Multivariate Tests to determine the winning web page layout.
Overall, we conducted seven tests including, five A/B Tests and two Multivariate Tests over a period of 10 weeks, and noticed incremental improvements with each test we performed. At the end of 10 weeks cycle, we noticed the following improvements:
- Exit Rate on website product category page came down from 75% to 37%
- Products Category to Product View conversion improved by 36%
- Product View to Cart Addition conversion improved by 24%
- “Speakers” product Category website page conversion rate improved by 34%