Enhanced Quality Lead Conversions Through Effective GTM Deployment
The decision makers of the online education website that catered to lacs of individuals and corporate learners, noticed that the conversions from direct channels were higher as compared to all their paid search efforts. Hence, they needed clarity about their existing data quality & governance to gain insight as to which channel or device category was bringing in quality lead conversions.
A reputed Ed-Tech organization that is a pioneer in offering digitally formatted, live and interactive classroom type learning courses. It is associated with some of the world’s leading institutes & corporates, enabling professionals to plan their future course of action and fast track their careers.
Tracking data in any marketing campaign is most crucial for deciding the KPIs for the marketing initiative and working towards a specific goal. We dived deeper into the traffic data of the client’s website by performing an in-depth audit of the analytics tool data and recommended analytics tracking to be re-implemented on the website. Some prominent use cases that would be addressed with the new implementation included the average number of touch points needed before a conversion, cross device tracking, the channels which generated maximum marketing and sales leads.The location and time frame that had the best lead conversions, landing page efficiency, convertor behavior and the role of communication, content and courses towards higher rate of conversion.
This is how we approached the problem.
We ventured deeper by deploying Google Tag Management (GTM), developed a KPI framework, followed by identifying the use cases and preparing a solution design. Along with this, we enhanced e commerce data layer recommendations and implemented advanced user ID tracking, form fallout, scroll & video tracking enabling the client to track user interaction through various channels.
Below is the detailed approach we followed as a part of the GTM implementation.
- We conducted 2 rounds of KPI discovery sessions with the stakeholders and developed a KPI framework.
- After the discovery session, we identified all the possible use cases on the website and prepared a solution design reference which covered all the uses cases.
- We did a deep dive into the site and came up with the flow graph with respect to the ecommerce flow on the site.
- As a part of Google Tag Manager deployment we provided the client with a GTM deployment guide.
- We provided an Enhanced Ecommerce Data Layer recommendations document and offered deployment support to the client’s development team.
- Data Layer recommendations document for non-ecommerce events was also provided.
- Once the client development team deployed GTM and the required data Layer on the site, analytics tracking implementation was kickstarted using GTM. Below is the screenshot of a few tags which were implemented.
Observations and Insights
We identified the root cause of the problem.
Our analysis was mainly focused on deriving insights by identifying and attributing the behaviour of the users coming from different channels and different devices by leveraging User ID and Enhanced Ecommerce implementation. This was also done to provide recommendation on which channel to further invest in.
Amongst the overall traffic accessing the website, Paid search was found to be the most effective in acquiring traffic and users who were a part of micro conversions (Form Fills) were converting better. But using user ID, we identified that the users coming through mobile devices (50% through organic channels), were the same set of users purchasing the courses online on a desktop device due to security reasons and the internet connection. And hence more conversions were happening from direct channels via the desktops. Due to improper form tracking, 31% of traffic from Paid channels, exited the website post form initiate.
We suggested that the Paid Search channel yielded better conversion compared to all other channels. And it was the optimum channel to invest in getting quality leads and bettering conversion rates
In the form fallout analysis, we recommended capturing the error message in the Custom Dimension because we understood that 21% of users had attempted to submit the form with irrelevant information in most fields (e.g. Country Code was not required to fill the phone number; but for users who filled the country code, there was no error message displayed, even when they couldn’t finish with ‘Submit’) We recommended that an error message be displayed against each field.
- Post implementing the changes, the conversion on the website increased by 9.2% MOM.
- Basis the effective analytics implementation, we were able to solve the client’s business problems significantly.
- Using Enhanced Ecommerce, client was getting meaningful insights on user action that resulted in higher conversion rates.
- Client was able to plan their marketing spend on the right channels, leading to an increase in the quality traffic, and were benefitting from higher conversion rates.
- User ID implementation helped the client in identifying their unique users, thereby helping them plan for subsequent remarketing activities.